Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Bred in the Bone

I've been hearing a lot of opinions on this matter. I think, on balance, that most Celtic fans might disagree with me. 

They might regard me as a member of the "tartan brigade" for wishing Celtic to remain in a Scottish league. That Celtic, and all that it stands for, has not been particularly well served either by Scottish society or, by extension I suppose, the Scottish football authorities. That we should therefore feel no particular loyalty to this league. I've heard some say that we are strong enough to represent everything that is great about this club wherever we play. In short, that the greatness of Celtic Football Club somehow transcends Scottish football.

To me, this all comes from the heart. Not the head. 

We are a Scottish club playing in a Scottish league. This is important. If we give this up I believe we dilute ourselves irreparably. Sure we'll always have the Celtic "brand" but what will it mean?
What we are today is bred in the bone. Almost as much in all the hard miles travelled to the likes of Pittodrie and Tynecastle as at home in Paradise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment